What is the role of a parent, a teacher, a guide or a partner? One would say about mentoring or motivating. Yes, it is indeed. And at the same time, it is about leading too! A parent and a teacher lead by setting example. A guide will always lead the way and the follower would trust him and follow. A partner goes along with us on the path. But in times of need, the true partner would take the lead and show the way. There is a lot of emphasis laid on leadership programs and advanced leadership programs for senior management employees. As they grow in the company, they automatically assume that role. But the higher ups know that the leaders also need to be groomed. Some need it desperately. The others can be born leaders. Is it easy for them to assume a lead position, anyways, in a company set-up? Sometimes the answer is, No….
Things to ponder upon:
- Leadership entails an attitude which should not be self-centric. Wherever there is a leader, there are bound to be followers. The leader should be able to put the others first. He or she has to assess the team members and give them work accordingly. At times, he would just be with them, and, at other times, push them hard into completing the target. He has to extract work from them.
- The moment you have a team to lead, you have various types of people to manage. They have all their own baggage of opinions, experiences, prior learning and dreams. It is a herculean task to steer such endowed people in the desired direction all at once. The intention is to deliver on time.
- There would be times when personal enmity or issues might crop up. Instead of teammates losing focus over it, the leader should release the air from the balloon.
- All the energy should be concentrated in finishing the work. It is a short term goal that one needs to keep in mind. The teams change quite often. The long term grooming should be left to the mentors. The leaders have a target. And once that is achieved, the leader should resume a secondary role. He should never assume the role of a custodian.
- A leader is also a link between the team members and the higher ups. He has to keep everyone in the loop. No matter what he should not lose his mind.
- Remember….you cannot please everyone every time. There are bound to be complaints, back biting or non cooperation. Sometimes its best to ignore.
These are just pointers. In actual practice, sometimes nothing works. One has to depend upon one’s instinct in dealing with people and situations. Do not lose heart. Always remember, it is finally your silent roar that will matter. The inner strength of character and the dominance which at times needs to be displayed will make the others fall into line. First roar and then gently lead the cubs to work. Believe me, it works. In blog posted on 18th Jan on Finally, it is the intention that matters, we have already stated the line: It is finally the intention that matters!!! The way to reach there can be varied…. Share and do let me know your thoughts on leadership.